What is Ozone Therapy?
Ozone therapy may be applied through injection, and can be used to treat a range of health problems. This treatment uses ozone, a colorless gas made up of three oxygen atoms.
Some researchers believe that ozone has therapeutic effects and the therapy has been studied and used for over 150 years. A layer of ozone is found in the earth's stratosphere. Its primary purpose is to protect the earth from the sun's ultraviolet radiation, most of which it absorbs.
In medicine, ozone therapy is used to disinfect and treat conditions by disinfecting the area around them, improving the body's intake and use of oxygen, and activating the immune system.
Using a gas as a medical treatment is unusual, so there are special techniques that are employed, as ozone can also be toxic when inhaled.
Ozone therapy has been found to be useful in several ways in medicine.
When it was first used more than 150 years ago, it was to disinfect and treat diseases. During the First World War, its application to wounds showed not only its ability to disinfect but also to aid blood flow and produce anti-inflammatory effects. Later, it was found to be a useful treatment for people with HIV before pharmaceutical medication was available.
Today it is used for treating the following:
• infected wounds
• circulatory disorders
• geriatric disorders
• viral diseases
• rheumatism and arthritis
Forms of Ozone
Although ozone is a gas, developments in technology mean it can be used in several forms and different ways, including:
• ozonated olive oil applied directly to the body
• insufflation, a risky therapy where ozone is blown into the rectum
• ozonated water, which is drunk
• injections, which are often used in dentistry
• autohemotherapy, where blood is withdrawn, mixed with ozone, and put back into the bloodstream
• gas bath or sauna
Ozoneated water may improve brain function, fight bacteria, and speed up healing.
There have been some promising studies examining how ozone may be beneficial to health by:
• Inactivating bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites, yeast, and protozoa
• stimulating the immune system to speed up healing
• improving circulation by cleaning the arteries and veins
• purifying blood and the lymph
• normalizing hormone and enzyme production
• having anti-inflammatory properties
• reducing pain
• stopping bleeding
• preventing shock
• limiting stroke damage
• reducing cardiac arrhythmia or abnormal heart rhythm
• reducing the risk of complications from diabetes
• improving brain function and memory
1 treatment $80
3 treatments for $145